When: Wed., December 4, 2:00 Eastern (11:00 Pacific). The webinar will be 90 minutes.
Presentation slidedecks are now available:
- Census implementing new disclosure avoidance methods with 2020 Census public data products (Beth Jarosz)
- Overview of Differential Privacy, effects on data accuracy, examples based on Census’s decennial demonstration data tables (David Van Riper)
- Proposed data products, what tables will be available (Jan Vink)
- How you can review the demonstration data tables now online (Beth and Jan)
- Suggested next steps, and opportunities for feedback (Todd Graham)
Presenters for this webinar are:
- Jan Vink, research specialist at Cornell Program on Applied Demographics
- Dave Van Riper, spatial analysis director at Univ of Minnesota Population Center
- Beth Jarsoz, demographer at Population Reference Bureau
- Todd Graham, principal demographer at Metropolitan Council of the Twin Cities.
Thanks to Jenn Shultz, Pennsylvania State Data Center for hosting this webinar meeting.
Program of the 2019 State Data Center Annual Conference
June 12-14, 2019
AGENDA: Wednesday, June 12, 2019
7:30 a.m. Conference Registration
8:30 a.m. Conference Welcome
- Toni Hall, Data Users Branch (DUB), CLMSO
- Melanie Poulter, Census Information Centers (CIC) Steering Committee Chair, Community Service Council of Greater Tulsa
- Pam Schenker, State Data Centers (SDC) Steering Committee Chair, State of Florida
9:00 a.m. Introduction
- Stephen Buckner, Assistant Director for Communications
9:30 a.m. Q&A
9:45 a.m. Update on 2020 Census Communication Activities (Panel Discussion)
- Kendall Johnson, 2020 Census Integrated Communications Contract PMO
10:15 a.m. Q&A
10:30 a.m. BREAK
10:45 a.m. Update on 2020 Census Communication Activities (Panel Discussion) (cont.)
- Anna Owens, Program Analyst, National Partnership Program
- Nesreen Khashan, Team Lead, Field Partnership Program
11:30 a.m. Q&A
11:45 a.m. LUNCH
1:00 p.m. 2020 Redistricting Updates and Products
- James Whitehorne, Chief, Redistricting Office and Voting Rights Office
1:45 p.m. Q&A
2:00 p.m. Differential Privacy and Overall Privacy of Decennial Data
- Michael Hawes, Senior Advisor for Data Access and Privacy, Associate Directorate for Research and Methodology
2:45 p.m. Q&A
3:00 p.m. BREAK
3:15 p.m. Panel Discussion on 2020 Activities
- Mary Craigle, Montana SDC
- Andrew Virden, Minnesota SDC
- Melany De La Cruz-Viesca, UCLA
- June Lim, AAAJ
- John Flateau, Medgar Evers College CIC
4:00 p.m. Q&A
4:15 p.m. Wrap-up
AGENDA: Thursday, June 13, 2019
8:00 a.m. 2020 Products
- Rachel Marks, Senior Technical Expert on Population Statistics,
- Marc Perry, Senior Demographic Reviewer, Population Division
8:45 a.m. Q&A
9:00 a.m. 2020 Race and Ethnicity
- Roberto Ramirez, Assistant Division Chief, Special Population Statistics, Population Division
- Matthew Spence, Branch Chief, Foreign Born Branch, Population Division
9:45 a.m. Q&A
10:00 a.m. BREAK
10:15 a.m. Updates on Languages for 2020
- Jennifer Kim, Assistant Division Chief, Content, Translation, Puerto Rico, and
10:45 a.m. Q&A
11:00 a.m. Statistics in School
- Victoria Glasier, Chief, Statistics in Schools Branch, CLMSO
11:45 a.m. Q&A
12:00 p.m. LUNCH
1:15 p.m. E-Mail Marketing
- Anthony Calabrese, Digital Marketing Lead, CLMSO
1:45 p.m. Q&A
2:00 p.m. Using Census Data to Power Your Visualizations
- Gerson Vasquez, Data Visualization Lead
- Ryan Dolan, Data Visualization Lead
3:00 p.m. Q&A
3:15 p.m. BREAK
3:30 p.m. CEDSCI – Data.Census.gov
- KaNin Reese, Chief, Dissemination Outreach Branch Center for Enterprise Dissemination
4:30 p.m. Q&A
4:45 p.m. Wrap-up
AGENDA: Friday, June 14, 2019
LOCATION: Salon B,C
8:30 a.m. SDC Business Meeting
- Updates Joint SDC/CIC Working Groups
- Updates on SDC Working Group
10:30 a.m. BREAK
10:45 a.m. Business Meeting (cont.)
- Report on Skills and Knowledge Inventory
- Ideas for Upcoming Webinars
- Discussion on Ideas for Moving Forward
11:45 a.m. Wrap-Up
12:00 p.m. Meeting Adjourns
Dear Network Member:
You are cordially invited to attend the 2019 Joint State Data Center (SDC) and Census Information Center (CIC) Annual Conference. The conference will be held June 12-14, 2019, at the Embassy Suites–Charlotte Uptown, Charlotte, NC. The meeting is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, June 12, at 8:00 a.m. and end on Friday, June 14, at 12:00 p.m.
SDC State Leads and CIC members:
- By May 17, visit the Eventbrite registration link. Register there, providing your contact information.
- Census CLMSO will book your hotel room for you, using the contact information you provided on Eventbrite.
- By May 24, call CWTSato, the Bureau’s travel agent, to arrange air travel.
- If an SDC State Lead or CIC member would like to send an alternate who works on Census data user activities, please contact Toni Hall at Antoinette (dot) Hall (at) census (dot) gov to arrange.
- Conference Logistics and Travel Info
The conference itself:
While in Charlotte… Embassy Suites–Charlotte Uptown is a short walk from restaurants and gathering spots.
2018 State Data Center Annual Conference
April 9-11, 2018
AGENDA MONDAY, APRIL 9, 2018
Note: The 15 presentations linked below will download as PowerPoint files.
8:30 AM – 9:00 AM Conference Registration
9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Welcome and Introductions
• Lakiva Pullins, Branch Chief, Data Users Branch
• Todd Graham, SDC Chairperson
• Introduction of New Committee Member(s) and Officers
• Misty Reed, Acting Division Chief, Customer Liaison and Marketing Services Office
• Stephen Buckner, Assistant Director for Communications Division
9:30 AM – 10:00 AM 2020 Census Integrated Communications Plan
• Kaile Bower, Chief, Integrated Partnership & Communication Branch
10:00 AM – 10:15 AM BREAK
10:15 AM – 10:45 AM Findings from 2016-2017 Census Tests
• Jennifer W. Reichert, Assistant Division Chief, Nonresponse, Evaluations, and Experiments, Decennial Census Management
10:45 AM – 11:15 AM 2020 LUCA Updates, Group Quarters Inventory, and PSAP
• Jennifer Holland, Chief, Partnership Communications and Outreach Branch, Geography Division
11:15 AM – 11:45 PM 2020 Residence Criteria
• Jason Devine, Assistant Division Chief, Census Programs Area, Population Division
• Steven Wilson, Chief, Population and Housing Program Branch, Population Division
11:45 AM – 1:00 PM LUNCH
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM Census Solutions Workshop Toolkit
• Lorena Molina-Irizarry, Deputy Branch Chief, Enterprise Partnership
3:00 PM – 3:15 PM BREAK
3:15 PM – 4:30 PM 2020 Discussion – What are the SDCs doing?
• Dan Veroff, WI, SDC Steering Committee
• Jennifer Shultz, PA, SDC Steering Committee
• SDC Leads Panel – Walter Schwarm (CA), Jan Vink (NY), Suzan Reagan (NM), Bob Coats (NC)
4:30 PM Meeting Adjourn
AGENDA TUESDAY, APRIL 10, 2018
8:15 AM – 8:45 AM Census Information Centers Overview
• Melanie Poulter, CIC Steering Committee Chairperson
8:45 AM – 9:45 AM 2017 Economic Census Update
• Kim Moore, Chief, Economy Wide Statistics Division
• Charles Brady, Branch Chief, Respondent Management and Promotion Branch, Economic Management Division
9:45 AM – 10:00 AM BREAK
10:00 AM – 11:15 AM Field Partnership and 2020 Complete Count Committees
• Sydnee Chattin, Assistant Division Chief, Decennial Support Programs, Field Division
• SDC Leads Panel – Liz Brooks (AK), Mallory Bateman (UT), Erica Gardner (WA)
11:15 AM – 12:00 AM 2020 Census Redistricting Program
• James Whitehorne, Branch Chief, Redistricting Office and Voting Rights Office
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM LUNCH
1:00 PM – 2:45 PM Center for New Media & Promotion (CNMP) and Center for Enterprise Dissemination and Services and Consumer Innovation (CEDSCI)
• Alexandra Figueroa, Chief, Web and New Media Branch, Center for New Media & Promotion
• KaNin Reese, Branch Chief, CEDSCI, Dissemination Outreach Branch
2:45 PM – 3:00 PM BREAK
3:00 PM – 3:45 PM Update and Overview of Administrative Records for ACS and Administrative Records for 2020 Census
• Thomas Mule, Special Assistant to the Chief, Decennial Statistical Studies Division
• Victoria Velkoff, Division Chief, American Community Survey Office
3:45 PM – 5:00 PM SDC Business Meeting
5:00 PM Meeting Adjourn
AGENDA WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11, 2018
8:00 AM – 9:30 AM Breakout by Region
Questions for SDC/DDB roundtable discussion
- What is the DDS staff approach in regard to disseminating Census Bureau data and program information to his/her assigned area?
- Name one or two specific areas or tasks where we can collaborate.
- What are you planning to do to support the 2020 data collection operation?
- In terms of the relationship between the SDCs and DDS/DDB, what is working well? What needs to be changed?
- We would like to ‘crowdsource’ suggestions for strategic national partnerships. Who should we prioritize from your perspective and what would be the ‘top three’ partners you would suggest working with and why?
9:30 AM – 11:30 AM SDC 40th Anniversary
• Topics for Next Annual Meeting
• Brief History of SDC Program
• Presentation of Awards – Todd Graham
11:30 AM Meeting Adjourn
Dear SDC Network Member:
You are invited to attend the State Data Center (SDC) Annual Conference. The conference will be held April 9-11, 2018, at the Hilton Providence, 21 Atwells Avenue, Providence, Rhode Island. The meeting is scheduled to begin on Monday, April 9, at 8:00 a.m. and end on Tuesday, April 11, at 12:00 p.m.
Details can be found here:
While in Providence…
The Hilton Providence is a short walk from restaurants and gathering spots, both downtown and Federal Hill.
- Vin Flood (Rhode Island SDC) recommends the restaurant guide found at GoProvidence.com
- Also, here are Yelp’s picks.
See you in Providence!
Here is the group photo that was taken at the 2011 Annual Training Conference at the Census Bureau.