Tips and Documentation
The State Data Center (SDC) Steering Committee, on behalf of the 1,800 affiliates of the State Data Center network, submitted this letter to the Census Bureau (Director Dillingham) expressing our concern over adjustments to 2020 Census operations and their impact on Census data quality.
The Census Bureau issued this press release on Monday, August 3, 2020 —
Statement from U.S. Census Bureau Director Steven Dillingham: Delivering a Complete and Accurate 2020 Census Count – Release Number CB20-RTQ.23
New York Times article links to the SDC Steering Committee Letter
- NY Times, Aug 4, 2020 — With Census Count Finishing Early, Fears of a Skewed Tally Rise
Follow up NY Times story that included an interview of Bob Coats, Chair, SDC Steering Committee
- NY Times, Aug 7, 2020 — Poll Watch: Why an Accurate Census Is So Important
For those of you fighting with the new CEDSCI website, you can access tables directly through URL “deep links.” I have found for simple tasks, like getting several tables for all counties in a state, this is faster than going through the web search and table filter.
via Mara Kaminowitz, GIS Coordinator, Baltimore Metropolitan Council
Aside Posted on Updated on
New from Minnesota Population Center IPUMS
Differentially Private Census Data
To help data users assess the impacts of differential privacy, the Census Bureau has released 2010 demonstration data products, which supply differentially private versions of 2010 data. To facilitate comparisons between the original and differentially private 2010 data, we provide both versions joined together in a simplified format through the links below.
Find it here: https://www.nhgis.org/differentially-private-2010-census-data
The steering committees of the Census Information Centers (CIC), Federal-State Cooperative for Population Estimates (FSCPE), and State Data Centers (SDC) transmitted a letter, on Nov. 27, 2019, to Census Director Dillingham. This letter outlines our questions and concerns regarding the Census Bureau’s move to a new Differential Privacy Disclosure Avoidance System (DAS).
The following is the Census Bureau’s response dated February 26, 2020:
The following is the Census Bureau’s response dated June 24, 2020:
When: Wed., December 4, 2:00 Eastern (11:00 Pacific). The webinar will be 90 minutes.
Presentation slidedecks are now available:
- Census implementing new disclosure avoidance methods with 2020 Census public data products (Beth Jarosz)
- Overview of Differential Privacy, effects on data accuracy, examples based on Census’s decennial demonstration data tables (David Van Riper)
- Proposed data products, what tables will be available (Jan Vink)
- How you can review the demonstration data tables now online (Beth and Jan)
- Suggested next steps, and opportunities for feedback (Todd Graham)
Presenters for this webinar are:
- Jan Vink, research specialist at Cornell Program on Applied Demographics
- Dave Van Riper, spatial analysis director at Univ of Minnesota Population Center
- Beth Jarsoz, demographer at Population Reference Bureau
- Todd Graham, principal demographer at Metropolitan Council of the Twin Cities.
Thanks to Jenn Shultz, Pennsylvania State Data Center for hosting this webinar meeting.