Presentations and webinars
2018 State Data Center Annual Conference
April 9-11, 2018
AGENDA MONDAY, APRIL 9, 2018
Note: The 15 presentations linked below will download as PowerPoint files.
8:30 AM – 9:00 AM Conference Registration
9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Welcome and Introductions
• Lakiva Pullins, Branch Chief, Data Users Branch
• Todd Graham, SDC Chairperson
• Introduction of New Committee Member(s) and Officers
• Misty Reed, Acting Division Chief, Customer Liaison and Marketing Services Office
• Stephen Buckner, Assistant Director for Communications Division
9:30 AM – 10:00 AM 2020 Census Integrated Communications Plan
• Kaile Bower, Chief, Integrated Partnership & Communication Branch
10:00 AM – 10:15 AM BREAK
10:15 AM – 10:45 AM Findings from 2016-2017 Census Tests
• Jennifer W. Reichert, Assistant Division Chief, Nonresponse, Evaluations, and Experiments, Decennial Census Management
10:45 AM – 11:15 AM 2020 LUCA Updates, Group Quarters Inventory, and PSAP
• Jennifer Holland, Chief, Partnership Communications and Outreach Branch, Geography Division
11:15 AM – 11:45 PM 2020 Residence Criteria
• Jason Devine, Assistant Division Chief, Census Programs Area, Population Division
• Steven Wilson, Chief, Population and Housing Program Branch, Population Division
11:45 AM – 1:00 PM LUNCH
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM Census Solutions Workshop Toolkit
• Lorena Molina-Irizarry, Deputy Branch Chief, Enterprise Partnership
3:00 PM – 3:15 PM BREAK
3:15 PM – 4:30 PM 2020 Discussion – What are the SDCs doing?
• Dan Veroff, WI, SDC Steering Committee
• Jennifer Shultz, PA, SDC Steering Committee
• SDC Leads Panel – Walter Schwarm (CA), Jan Vink (NY), Suzan Reagan (NM), Bob Coats (NC)
4:30 PM Meeting Adjourn
AGENDA TUESDAY, APRIL 10, 2018
8:15 AM – 8:45 AM Census Information Centers Overview
• Melanie Poulter, CIC Steering Committee Chairperson
8:45 AM – 9:45 AM 2017 Economic Census Update
• Kim Moore, Chief, Economy Wide Statistics Division
• Charles Brady, Branch Chief, Respondent Management and Promotion Branch, Economic Management Division
9:45 AM – 10:00 AM BREAK
10:00 AM – 11:15 AM Field Partnership and 2020 Complete Count Committees
• Sydnee Chattin, Assistant Division Chief, Decennial Support Programs, Field Division
• SDC Leads Panel – Liz Brooks (AK), Mallory Bateman (UT), Erica Gardner (WA)
11:15 AM – 12:00 AM 2020 Census Redistricting Program
• James Whitehorne, Branch Chief, Redistricting Office and Voting Rights Office
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM LUNCH
1:00 PM – 2:45 PM Center for New Media & Promotion (CNMP) and Center for Enterprise Dissemination and Services and Consumer Innovation (CEDSCI)
• Alexandra Figueroa, Chief, Web and New Media Branch, Center for New Media & Promotion
• KaNin Reese, Branch Chief, CEDSCI, Dissemination Outreach Branch
2:45 PM – 3:00 PM BREAK
3:00 PM – 3:45 PM Update and Overview of Administrative Records for ACS and Administrative Records for 2020 Census
• Thomas Mule, Special Assistant to the Chief, Decennial Statistical Studies Division
• Victoria Velkoff, Division Chief, American Community Survey Office
3:45 PM – 5:00 PM SDC Business Meeting
5:00 PM Meeting Adjourn
AGENDA WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11, 2018
8:00 AM – 9:30 AM Breakout by Region
Questions for SDC/DDB roundtable discussion
- What is the DDS staff approach in regard to disseminating Census Bureau data and program information to his/her assigned area?
- Name one or two specific areas or tasks where we can collaborate.
- What are you planning to do to support the 2020 data collection operation?
- In terms of the relationship between the SDCs and DDS/DDB, what is working well? What needs to be changed?
- We would like to ‘crowdsource’ suggestions for strategic national partnerships. Who should we prioritize from your perspective and what would be the ‘top three’ partners you would suggest working with and why?
9:30 AM – 11:30 AM SDC 40th Anniversary
• Topics for Next Annual Meeting
• Brief History of SDC Program
• Presentation of Awards – Todd Graham
11:30 AM Meeting Adjourn
Aside Posted on Updated on
New from Minnesota State Demographic Center
Slidedeck: ORGANIZING for a Complete Count
The Census creates valuable data. Make sure your elected leaders know how your community has grown (or declined) since the last census.
Find it here: https://sdcclearinghouse.files.wordpress.com/2018/02/ccc-ppt-1-31-18.pdf
Aside Posted on Updated on
New from US Census Bureau
What is the Census Planning Database? webinar
The Census Planning Database pulls together small area population and socioeconomic variables relevant to public outreach and engagement. It’s available as a data file and an API. Census Bureau is developing a ROAM app for mapped presentations of the data. Webinar from January 17, 2018.
Find it here: http://dlvr.it/QBm7Hw
The State Data Center Program hosted a webinar, November 29, 2017, on preparing for Local Update of Census Addresses (LUCA), from the viewpoint of state and local governments participating in the review.
This webinar provides an overview of the LUCA process, followed by information on identifying and preparing local address sources, using the block level housing unit counts available from Census, and tools to assist with local address file development.
The presenters are Robert Scardamalia and Dale Miller. Robert Scardamalia served as New York’s Chief Demographer for over 20 years, and was a member of the SDC Steering Committee ahead of the 2000 an 2010 Censuses. Dale Miller is the Principal Planner with the Herkimer and Oneida Counties (New York) Planning Program. He has been involved with each census since 1990, and participated in his region’s LUCA review in 2000 and 2010.
The complete slidedeck from November 29 can be downloaded as a PowerPoint file.
Acknowledgements: The SDC Steering Committee thanks Robert Scardamalia and Dale Miller for delivering this presentation; Census Bureau for hosting the live webinar; and Minnesota State Demographic Center for repackaging this webinar as YouTube videos.
This webinar is the second in a series of Plan to Plan for 2020 webinars organized by the SDC Steering Committee and hosted by the SDC Program.
Aside Posted on
New from University of Utah
Utah State and County Population Projections Research Brief: 2015-2065
The Kem C. Gardner Policy Institute has produced long-term demographic and economic projections for the state of Utah and its counties. These 50-year projections extend from 2015 to 2065, and illustrate continued population growth and a range of future dynamics and structural shifts for Utah.
Find it here: http://gardner.utah.edu/wp-content/uploads/Projections-Brief-Final.pdf
Aside Posted on
New from University of Alabama
Presentation on State Data Centers
The SDC network disseminates Census data and provides guidance, tools, technology, and expertise to local stakeholders. Data Dissemination is What We Do. Presented to ACS Data Users Conference, May 2017.
Find it here: https://sdcclearinghouse.files.wordpress.com/2017/05/greggbell_acsdug_may2017.pptx
Aside Posted on Updated on
New from Texas Demographic Center
The Changing and Complex Population of Texas
Presentation slidedeck. Presented to Texas Leadership Forum 2017.
Find it here: http://demographics.texas.gov/Resources/Presentations/OSD/2017/2017_02_03_TexasLeadershipForum2017ShepperdInstitute.pdf