Dear Network Member:
You are cordially invited to attend the 2019 Joint State Data Center (SDC) and Census Information Center (CIC) Annual Conference. The conference will be held June 12-14, 2019, at the Embassy Suites–Charlotte Uptown, Charlotte, NC. The meeting is scheduled to begin on Wednesday, June 12, at 8:00 a.m. and end on Friday, June 14, at 12:00 p.m.
SDC State Leads and CIC members:
- By May 17, visit the Eventbrite registration link. Register there, providing your contact information.
- Census CLMSO will book your hotel room for you, using the contact information you provided on Eventbrite.
- By May 24, call CWTSato, the Bureau’s travel agent, to arrange air travel.
- If an SDC State Lead or CIC member would like to send an alternate who works on Census data user activities, please contact Toni Hall at Antoinette (dot) Hall (at) census (dot) gov to arrange.
- If your state or CIC would like send more than one person, please contact Toni Hall to request this. Toni will need to ensure there is enough space. The additional attendee(s) would need to self-pay all travel and hotel expenses. .
About the meeting:
- Agenda forthcoming.
- Recap of last year’s SDC Annual Conference, April 2018
While in Charlotte… Embassy Suites–Charlotte Uptown is a short walk from restaurants and gathering spots. Here are Yelp’s picks.
2018 State Data Center Annual Conference
April 9-11, 2018
AGENDA MONDAY, APRIL 9, 2018
Note: The 15 presentations linked below will download as PowerPoint files.
8:30 AM – 9:00 AM Conference Registration
9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Welcome and Introductions
• Lakiva Pullins, Branch Chief, Data Users Branch
• Todd Graham, SDC Chairperson
• Introduction of New Committee Member(s) and Officers
• Misty Reed, Acting Division Chief, Customer Liaison and Marketing Services Office
• Stephen Buckner, Assistant Director for Communications Division
9:30 AM – 10:00 AM 2020 Census Integrated Communications Plan
• Kaile Bower, Chief, Integrated Partnership & Communication Branch
10:00 AM – 10:15 AM BREAK
10:15 AM – 10:45 AM Findings from 2016-2017 Census Tests
• Jennifer W. Reichert, Assistant Division Chief, Nonresponse, Evaluations, and Experiments, Decennial Census Management
10:45 AM – 11:15 AM 2020 LUCA Updates, Group Quarters Inventory, and PSAP
• Jennifer Holland, Chief, Partnership Communications and Outreach Branch, Geography Division
11:15 AM – 11:45 PM 2020 Residence Criteria
• Jason Devine, Assistant Division Chief, Census Programs Area, Population Division
• Steven Wilson, Chief, Population and Housing Program Branch, Population Division
11:45 AM – 1:00 PM LUNCH
1:00 PM – 3:00 PM Census Solutions Workshop Toolkit
• Lorena Molina-Irizarry, Deputy Branch Chief, Enterprise Partnership
3:00 PM – 3:15 PM BREAK
3:15 PM – 4:30 PM 2020 Discussion – What are the SDCs doing?
• Dan Veroff, WI, SDC Steering Committee
• Jennifer Shultz, PA, SDC Steering Committee
• SDC Leads Panel – Walter Schwarm (CA), Jan Vink (NY), Suzan Reagan (NM), Bob Coats (NC)
4:30 PM Meeting Adjourn
AGENDA TUESDAY, APRIL 10, 2018
8:15 AM – 8:45 AM Census Information Centers Overview
• Melanie Poulter, CIC Steering Committee Chairperson
8:45 AM – 9:45 AM 2017 Economic Census Update
• Kim Moore, Chief, Economy Wide Statistics Division
• Charles Brady, Branch Chief, Respondent Management and Promotion Branch, Economic Management Division
9:45 AM – 10:00 AM BREAK
10:00 AM – 11:15 AM Field Partnership and 2020 Complete Count Committees
• Sydnee Chattin, Assistant Division Chief, Decennial Support Programs, Field Division
• SDC Leads Panel – Liz Brooks (AK), Mallory Bateman (UT), Erica Gardner (WA)
11:15 AM – 12:00 AM 2020 Census Redistricting Program
• James Whitehorne, Branch Chief, Redistricting Office and Voting Rights Office
12:00 PM – 1:00 PM LUNCH
1:00 PM – 2:45 PM Center for New Media & Promotion (CNMP) and Center for Enterprise Dissemination and Services and Consumer Innovation (CEDSCI)
• Alexandra Figueroa, Chief, Web and New Media Branch, Center for New Media & Promotion
• KaNin Reese, Branch Chief, CEDSCI, Dissemination Outreach Branch
2:45 PM – 3:00 PM BREAK
3:00 PM – 3:45 PM Update and Overview of Administrative Records for ACS and Administrative Records for 2020 Census
• Thomas Mule, Special Assistant to the Chief, Decennial Statistical Studies Division
• Victoria Velkoff, Division Chief, American Community Survey Office
3:45 PM – 5:00 PM SDC Business Meeting
5:00 PM Meeting Adjourn
AGENDA WEDNESDAY, APRIL 11, 2018
8:00 AM – 9:30 AM Breakout by Region
Questions for SDC/DDB roundtable discussion
- What is the DDS staff approach in regard to disseminating Census Bureau data and program information to his/her assigned area?
- Name one or two specific areas or tasks where we can collaborate.
- What are you planning to do to support the 2020 data collection operation?
- In terms of the relationship between the SDCs and DDS/DDB, what is working well? What needs to be changed?
- We would like to ‘crowdsource’ suggestions for strategic national partnerships. Who should we prioritize from your perspective and what would be the ‘top three’ partners you would suggest working with and why?
9:30 AM – 11:30 AM SDC 40th Anniversary
• Topics for Next Annual Meeting
• Brief History of SDC Program
• Presentation of Awards – Todd Graham
11:30 AM Meeting Adjourn
Dear SDC Network Member:
You are invited to attend the State Data Center (SDC) Annual Conference. The conference will be held April 9-11, 2018, at the Hilton Providence, 21 Atwells Avenue, Providence, Rhode Island. The meeting is scheduled to begin on Monday, April 9, at 8:00 a.m. and end on Tuesday, April 11, at 12:00 p.m.
Details can be found here:
While in Providence…
The Hilton Providence is a short walk from restaurants and gathering spots, both downtown and Federal Hill.
- Vin Flood (Rhode Island SDC) recommends the restaurant guide found at GoProvidence.com
- Also, here are Yelp’s picks.
See you in Providence!
The SDC Steering Committee is seeking nominations for the Gustafson Award. If you know a SDC agency or person within a SDC that has been doing great work and deserves some recognition, please nominate them!
The Gustafson Award was established in 2012 to remember one of our dear colleagues, Randy Gustafson from the Tennessee SDC, who also served on the SDC Steering Committee. Randy was a wonderful person and a big part of the SDC family. The Gustafson Award was created in his memory to honor outstanding contributions to the SDC network.
The Gustafson Award nomination form is here: Gustafson Award Nomination Form
Anyone can submit a nomination. Nominations are due to Pam Schenker or Gregg Bell, by November 17, 2017.
The winner will be announced during the SDC Annual Meeting in April 2018. (Dates for the SDC Annual Meeting have not been finalized.)
- 2013 – Pam Schenker, FL
- 2014 – Julie Hoang, CA
- 2015 – John Blodgett, MO
- 2016 – David Drozd, NE
- 2017 – The Minnesota Population Center, specifically the project team that designed the National Historical Geographic Info System, including Wendy Thomas, Steven Ruggles, and Mark Lindberg, MN
Here is a letter from the steering committee, discussing our continuing partnership with Census Bureau and the 2018 SDC Annual Training Conference. The letter was sent October 23, 2017.